Sticky Note

I'm on a blogging break, but will be checking in from time to time. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday Christian Fiction Carnival ~ Thrilling!

Today's question for the Saturday Christian Fiction Carnival is:

Whether or not you celebrate Halloween, there's something about the shorter days and chilly air that makes one want to curl up with a scary book. The horror market for Christian fiction is growing in creativity and testing all sorts of boundaries. The suspense market is also very rich with many talented authors. So my question(s) for you is...what's the best Christian fiction horror or suspense novel that you've read? What book would you recommend to someone who wanted to try out these genres? What's a book in these genres you want to read but haven't yet?


Oh my! I'm afraid I don't have much to offer in this category. I used to read scary stuff when I was younger (Stephen King!) but haven't in years. I refuse to watch scary movies any more. Not sure why I've become such a scaredy cat!

I do like suspense and would love recommendations on that genre. Horror is...well, I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet!

So let me know about some good suspense. I'd love to check it out!

Updating to add: Ok, so I didnt list the suspense I recommend! I loved Wiser Than Serpents by Susan May Warren (Mission: Russia series). I also enjoyed James Scott Bell's Try Dying and Try Darkenss (Buchanan series). I recently finished Forsaken by James David Jordan. Some were milder than others though (i.e. Forsaken was milder in suspense to me than Wiser Than Serpents, and Try Darkness was milder than Try Dying). I guess I didn't add these at first because none of these are "hardcore" suspense...they're more mild.

If you haven't already, go on over to the carnival at My Friend Amy's to check out more answers to this question...and add yours to the mix!

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm, another rec for the Russia series. Thanks, I will definitely have to look into that.

    Wyndy
    http://wynsbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I don't think I've read any of these, but that is great because it just means that I have some more books to add to my wish list!

    :) Wendi

    Here's my post: http://wendisbookcorner.blogspot.com/2008/10/saturday-christian-fiction-carnival_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Stephen King when I was younger too, but can't now. I don't mind suspense movies, but will not watch gory ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you like suspense thrillers but don’t like the gore of a Stephen King novel, try Travis Thatcher’s “Isolation.” My choice in answer to Amy’s carnival question today. Thatcher writes with all the power, suspense and grip of a King novel, but uses Christian themes, worldviews and spiritual messages. Isolation is a GREAT book by a very talented promising up and coming Christian author.

    Marvin blogs at Free Spirit: http://inspiritandtruths.blogspot.com/
    Eye Twitter 2 - http://twitter.com/PaiZe_Fiddler

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not that into horror/thriller either. I do love Robert Liparulo and Sue Dent though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost put Isolation on my list too - it is definitely a thriller, but I didn't love it, it was okay.

    I 2nd James Scott Bell and Sue Dent and Robert Liparulo though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a few people have mentioned the Mission: Russia series. I'm definitely going to check those out sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too may have to check out the Russia series.

    I currently am reading The Shack myself. Am loving it to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will enjoy the whole Mission Russia series :o)

    Thanks for the info on Forsaken....I am going into it with no expectations :o) so we will see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about you Sunny, but I am totally checking out the Mission Russia series. ;) I was and still am a Stephen King fan. I also like Dean Koontz. I do not read as much horror as I once did, but I will always have a little taste for it. I have to be careful though, because I have a very VIVID imagination. :) For good Christian suspense I enjoyed Colleen Coble's Abomination. :) It was very good! I

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe I haven't recommended some of King's books! Now I'll mention some of it. Misery and The Shining are one of my all-time faves. I loved The Talisman too, his 1984 fantasy novel.

    Anyway, Mission Russia series is already in my TBR, House by Dekker on top of it. Really finding some time to sit with it, hoping to finish it before November 7, it's big premiere in theaters. it'll be in more than 450 theaters, it might be near you guys. Check out House's website for the list of cities where it'll be shown.

    @Sunny, loved the greenness of your blog! See ya! :)

    ReplyDelete